I have got it to do 10Mbps now, by ditching the "85Mbps" ethernet over
power adaptors, in favor of a cable.

I get 12Mbps if I run it to the 2.4GHz Pentium 4 xl0 100Mbps port.

No idea what is slowing it down here yet.  It should be getting 30Mbps,
like it does on the Mac.

Maybe I should try some of the kernel tuning suggested on calomel.