and that will be an exception that i'll have to deal with, which is
entirely reasonable given that they rarely do change

another rare exception i could skirt around would be white space
changes that would deter me from diffing syscalls.master instead of
`nm /bsd` during automation, but the problem doesn't even come to that
with snapshots, since i don't have a source referral; i only have the
binary interface of the symbol list