Hi Marios

On 25/06/12 20:36, Marios Makassikis wrote:

> Seeing your solution ( glad you solved your problem by the way :) ), it
looks
> like someone is bruteforcing your server. Which implies that the first
> step prior
> to attempting to authenticate is to establish a connection. I'm
> surprised PF doesn't
> catch it though.
> Even if the attacker is using the exact same packets, I recall reading
> that PF tracks
> connections by looking at source and destination transport addresses,
> but also ISNs.
> (Of course, you shouldn't take my word for it, as I couldn't find any
> source that backs
> this up.)
> In that case, it would mean your server is using weak ISNs and using
> modulate state
> instead of keep state would help mitigate the issue, as new states
> would be created
> for each connection and you can effectively do some rate limiting.
>
> There's also the possibility that your software keeps the connection
> open upon a failed
> auth, instead of closing after a predefined number of attempts. If
> that's the case, I'd send
> a bug report to the developers.

There are no connections to close ... It's SIP --> UDP .. The attacker can
always
use the same packet header.

Think there is no way to solve that at Layer 3 or 4, You have to look at the
content.

Regards

  Matthias

--
Matthias Cramer, Erachfeldstrasse 1b, CH-8180 Bülach, Switzerland
http://www.freestone.net

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]