I have doing quite a lot of netbooting lately. However I can not figure out how to configure a specific machine to use a specific kernel.

Is there a way for pxeboot to load a kernel based on something machine dependent, for example, mac address?

If not, I have been digging around in sys/stand/boot/boot.c
while I have not found where to get the mac address yet
would it be preferable to
a. look for a boot.conf.<macaddress> before an unadorned boot.conf
b. if not otherwise specified fall back to /bsd.<macadress>
c. macro expansion in boot.conf(somthing in the manner of
   "machine $macaddress")

I like option a as that seems like it would be easy to put in and provide configuration power where needed while not complicating the
setup in the common case of only ever needing one kernel.