* David Diggles <da...@elven.com.au> [2012-10-02 13:51]:
> but is this clear for newbies who read all the faqs?

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 01:17:03PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > it once again comes down to "think before pushing random buttons".

this basic principle SHOULD not need documentation :)

quite seriously, this goes deep into the workings of tcp. OpenBSD
documentation cannot and does not document the details of the
implemented protocols. There are entire books about tcp. Read them to
understand tcp, and read the OpenBSD documentation for the OpenBSD
specific bits.

There isn't much we can do to prevent people from pushing buttons they
don't understand but not providing them - which is what we do where
possible. But by not providing synproxy we'd steal an important tool
for fighting attacks from those who understand what they're doing.

We're not saving you from stabbing your eye with the spoon left in
your coffee mug either. We can't.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP