Martin Pelikan <martin.peli...@gmail.com> writes:

> as sthen@ kindly corrected me the some time ago, we now have
> pkg.conf(5) and "installpath".

You're right of course -- pkg.conf has been with us for a while (first
appearance in 4.8 it seems).

> This way it'll work even if you don't invoke package updates from your
> shell, but using some kind of remote administration software for
> example.

Yes. That functionality would be relevant to the OP. I'd managed to
forget all about it, probably because the old .profile trick works so
well in other contexts.

- P

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/