On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 12:21:34PM +0100, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 10:58:09AM +0000, John Long wrote:
> | Thanks Paul. In that case I guess it would be simpler to do the sp kernel
> | first since the make install causes it to get booted. Then when I do the mp
> | kernel and install it everything will be ready to build the rest with the mp
> | kernel.
>
> Or don't make install GENERIC.  Why do you want to build the SP kernel
> if you're not going to use it ?

If I didn't stumble upon it I probably wouldn't even think about it. Now
that I did I figured it would be good for testing once in a while if
anything that appears to possibly be timing-related happens with the mp
kernel. It only takes a few minutes to compile.

>  If you're following stable, you may want to make a release and then use
> the kernels so produced.

At this point this is the only AMD64 box I have OpenBSD on.

> Alternatively, you can `make` GENERIC and `make install` GENERIC.MP.
> Or just skip making the SP kernel, you don't need to have it around
> per se ;)

I didn't know if make generic would leave a finished bsd.sp kernel in /
Not sure what the kernel make install target does, since I wasn't paying
attention after building the kernel a bunch of times on my Fuloong box.

If make builds a kernel and leaves it in / and just doesn't point the
bootloader at it that will be enough and I'll just make install the mp
kernel like I think you are saying.

Thanks,

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD