I confirm that putting "URxvt.loginShell:true" into ~/.Xdefaults works for
urxvt. Sorry I didn't get to reply earlier.

I searched the FAQ after you mentioned it and it indeed is documented in
section 8.16. But I didn't think of it and didn't know enough to know what
keywords to search in the beginning.

However, st doesn't seem to be able to read .profile with "st.loginShell:true".
 If anyone knows why, it'd be great if you let me know. I know nothing about
xorg.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to have gotten urxvt working. Thank you very much all
for your help.

Feng