Hi.

The problem is not storing the passwords in the clear as the RADIUS server is
actually a Windows 2008 R2 NPS server, it is however that PAP sends ASCII
charecters unencrypted over the wire as opposed to other EAP solutions or even
CHAP.
So as the password with PAP may or may not be encrypted on the wire it most
certainly is with CHAP. The NTLM hashes have no influence here as the only task
of login_radius is to send the username and password to a RADIUS server and
wait for it's Granted/Denied response.
But the method i uses to send and recieve that information could be cruical. So
the real question is does login_radius hash or encrypt the password it sends
and is there an option to use CHAP or did someone think that PAP is good enough?
Like I said this is not really a show-stopper but I am baffled somewhat by the
fact that OpenBSD is touted to be security centric to the point of code audits
and yet it supports only PAP.

Aleš Golob