hmm, on Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 11:31:43PM +0100, Marc Espie said that
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 11:23:06PM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:
> > (difficult to believe no people see this, every notebook
> > i had since 2008 could not shutdown cleanly 50-70%
> > of the time)
>
> I don't know what you do with your machines, or what specific hw you
> have that causes this. My machines shutdown gracefully most of the time.

(the dmesgs of all my current and previous notebooks can be
found in the misc archive).  thinkpad, ideapad, eeepc,
all of them showed this behaviour.  i use these machines
for simple daily use.  browsing, some development work,
etc.  as every day as it gets for unix users.

there are normally 2 ways of unclean shutdown:
either "syncing now" and never "done", or
(on this ideapad) simply black screen, presumably
still part of X, and never going to the console.

i made this script to minimize damage:

$ cat bin/ha.sh
#!/bin/sh

sudo sync