Hi,

On 25.12.2012 20:28, epsilon wrote:
On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 06:05:10PM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:
since a couple of snapshosts back i can quite reliably
freeze my openbsd notebook simply by leaving it on
overnight.  the desktop is there, all the open windows
are there, but it has become a painting...
nothing in the logs, no panic, nothing.
anybody else is seeing something similar?

Not really the same, but maybe compareable. I am unsure, but let's
see:

Since upgrade to 5.2 my gateway box freezes in about one out of four
times I boot it (it's switched off over night). It freezes somewhere
after "starting network daemons" and "starting local daemons". I
tried to disable services I do not essentially need or to substitute
them with other solutions. So far no findings here.

But this box runs no X. I have connected a keyboard and a monitor and
I am able to switch between the virtual terminals but no reaction
there. If I simply hit return, nothing happens. No login possible.

ICMP pings are replyed, but I cannot SSH into the box. Connections are
NOT rejected, they just time out. Same with all other TCP connections.

After a while the fan accelerates. It looks like the CPU is working
very hard. Unfortunately this is really the only reaction this box
gives me. But better than nothing.

I can confirm the problem here. We run some 5.2 VMs on ESXi 5.1
and if the VM "freezes" the CPU runs on 100% but the system is
completely frozen. No disk IO, no keyboard, but kernel networking
seems to be ok.

We hit this problem on a physical server after upgrading to 5.2 too.

Sometimes the problem occurs during boot like described above, but
most of the "freezes" are seen after a short up time on system with
heavy disk io.

We had two VMs which crashed every 2 - 4 days after upgrading to 5.2.
After a long time of investigation I had the assumption that a problem
with the UVM / FFS softdep bufs causes the freeze. I saw a high,
increasing number of busymap bufs in systat. After a simple "sync" the
number drops down to 0 - 2 and increases again ...

Since 9 days, I run sync every 5 minutes and both systems did
*not* freeze again.

 - Joerg

--
OSN Online Service Nuernberg GmbH, Bucher Str. 78, 90408 Nuernberg
Tel: +49 911 39905-0 - Fax: +49 911 39905-55 - http://www.osn.de