On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:01:46PM +0001, Jason McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:17:01PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> >
> > Yes, on the _client_ (sorry, I should have been explicit).
> > What got me trying it is that sysctl(8) says
> >
> >     To adjust the number of kernel nfsio threads
> >     used to service asynchronous I/O requests on
> >     an NFS _client_ machine.
> >
> > Your diff seems to imply that this affects the _server_.
> >
> > However, on the client, vfs.nfs.iothreads jumps to 4
> > as soon as I mount the NFS share. On the server, it stays at -1.
> >
> > On the client, when I start copying from the server, it stays at 4;
> > on the server it stays at -1.  Same when I copy the other way round.
> >
> > So it really seems to affect the client (as sysctl(8) currently says),
> > which I think makes your diff incorrect.
> >
> > After I unmount the share on the client, vfs.nfs.iothreads
> > stays on 4; I set that manually to -1, and it jumps to 20,
> > without even having anything NFS-mounted. Is that intended?
> > Setting it manually to anything but -1 then panicked my
> > 5.2/i386 client. (I would try current, but that's currently
> > not bootable on my i386 laptop.)
> >

> ok, so unless someone steps up and explains to me how this is meant to
> work i can;t do much...

so after some help from blambert, i've committed a doc fix. i've not
documented the fact that -1 is kind of the default. i'm not sure if
explaining it is that helpful. nor do i know why it's done this way.

as to the behaviour you're seeing whilst fiddling with the sysctl, i
can't help you there i'm afraid.

jmc