On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 10:17:49AM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:

> vfs.nfs.iothreads is still mentioned (and commented out)
> in the default /etc/sysctl.conf - should that go too?

not neccessarily. but the value should be changed, i think (or it should
be removed).

> > i've not
> > documented the fact that -1 is kind of the default. i'm not sure if
> > explaining it is that helpful. nor do i know why it's done this way.
>
> Could a NFS dude please kindly shed some light on how
> vfs.nfs.iothreads works? In particular, is it supposed
> to affect the client or server behaviour?

i hope the diff committed is clear about that:

        NFS_NIOTHREADS
                The number of I/O kernel threads for NFS clients.

is that still confusing? i guess we could add a comma after "kernel
threads", if you think that would make it clearer.

> If the user is supposed to be able to use it,
> the manpage should describe how it works, right?

yes.

> If OTOH the user is not supposed to touch vfs.nfs.iothreads,
> the documentation should clearly say so (and it probably
> would have to go from sysctl.conf). I for one can happily
> leave it to the OS, and only tried bumping it up on my
> busy NFS client upon reading about it in sysctl(3,8).

like mosts syctls, i guess a sane default is chosen, and then you can
mess with it if need be. if you were not meant to mess with it under any
circumstances, i doubt there would be a settable sysctl for it.

jmc