On Jan 07 17:09:16, es...@nerim.net wrote:
> who cares ? the limiting factor here is 1G of memory.
>
> keep in mind that 64 bits ~= twice the size for some things, which
> include compiling and linking code.
>
> There are lots of *large* stragglers in the ports tree that won't
> compile within 1G of memory, heck, they can go over 2G in some
> cases (landry@ is starting to hit hard limits on some 32 bit machines,
> for instance).
>
> Theo is right: a *huge* default limit *for every normal process* is
> wrong.
>
> But compiling big ports is not normal. :)

Right.

> For starters, you could use the provided snapshots. If you don't,

I use snapshots and prebuilt packages whenever I can.
Compiling this was a workaround -

> you're
> supposed to know what you're doing (obviously, there's something missing
> there).

Yesterday's current/amd64, as mirrored at
ftp://ftp5.eu.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/
has sets from Jan 5 and x*-sets from Jan 4. I'm not sure
if that is the reason, but the obligate pkg_add -ui says

  Can't install gtk+3-3.6.3 because of libraries
  |library freetype.19.0 not found
  | /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.17.2 (system): bad major
  | /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.18.0 (system): bad major
  | /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.18.1 (system): bad major
  | /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.18.2 (system): bad major
  | /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.18.3 (system): bad major

That's why I am bulding it from ports
(and getting the out-of-swap errors).

I don't mind waiting for a newer freetype or rebulding xenocara.
I was just confused by the swap messages, which seems to be
explained now. Thanks.

> Heck, I even added a few paragraphs about bulk build hints to ports(7)
> recently.

Time for me to re-read then.

> You could also question whether it's reasonable to need THAT much memory
> to compile and link that code. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the tools
> that exist. Developping a more efficient compiler+linker is a *huge*
> adventure...

No doubt.

> oh, and most people out there *won't even care*. If you whine that you
> can't compile stuff with your 1G of memory, a lot of developers will
> laugh at the puny amount of memory you have on your development machine.

I just didn't know that 1G of RAM that my machine has (laugh away)
is not enough for compiling _those_ ports, and that in fact I *will*
be hitting (my nonexistent) swap, as Otto explained.
Now I do. Thank you.