J,

On 15/11/2005, at 9:42 AM, J Moore wrote:

Prior discussions notwithstanding, the fact is that the log messages are
misleading. I *understand* now... if the log messages were written
differently, I never would've had to ask.

Reasonable person scenario:

o Notice odd ntpd log entries.
o #man ntpd
o Notice SECOND paragraph says:

    "ntpd uses the adjtime(2) system call to correct the local system
    time without causing time jumps.  Adjustments larger than 128ms
    are logged using syslog(3).  The threshold value is chosen to
    avoid having local clock drift thrash the log files."

o Crisis averted.

I don't know who Henning is, and I don't know what he voted "no" to, but
if he voted against a clear log message, then he voted "yes" to
confusion.

Come on. You've been haunting these lists for long enough to know who
Henning is. Cut the theatrics.

Shane J Pearson        shanejp netspace net au                       ->|