2013/1/29 Andriy Samsonyuk <andriy.samson...@ch.tum.de>:
> Hi,
>
> is apm/apmd the only wat to change the fan speen?
>
> The fan speen never goes above:
> hw.sensors.acpithinkpad0.fan0=4527 RPM
> +- few RPMs
>
> if i set apmd -C or -A the laptop powers off after a while
> without any warnings.
>
> with apm -L or -H its running, but getting hotter.
>
> Any suggestions/ideas?

David Coppa already sent you a patch but probably I should clarify
some things more.

Many modern ThinkPad allow to either delegate management of fan speed
to BIOS or to set it manually. OpenBSD point of view is that manual
setting fans from userland is a BAD idea. So what's the patch
mentioned does is taking management from BIOS to OS.

BIOS does a good thing at managing fan speed until it gets too hot.
But when overheating happens, there are two complimentary ways to
handle the situation: a) raise the fan speed; b) lower CPU speed.

(a) is what OpenBSD with the patch mentioned starts to do. The fan is
put in so called "disengaged" mode, fan goes to 6000+ RPM and became
spinning as if it's trying to make your laptop flying. This probably
could damage the fan, but mine is still there for about two years.

The same functionality exists in the Linux kernel but the code is
(was? Didn't check for a year) disabled; I've actually picked up
register addresses from there.

(b) is what Windows does. Your videoplayer will start dropping frames
but it'll be more or less quiet around.

Probably some overheating logic could be added to apmd(8), but this
daemon already wants too many options and thus probably needs
refactoring. Or there could be some default scripts for sensorsd(8)
written...

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov