On 2013-02-04, at 13:09, Matthias Appel <appel.matth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Am 04.02.2013 20:25, schrieb William Boshuck:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 10:27:42AM +0000, James Griffin wrote:
>> I think vi(1) - not vim - would be a great tool for him to
>> learn. A real hardcore UNIX editor,
> ed(1)

emacs(1) would be able  to replace half of the programs on this A to Z list.

Thank you all for your excellent responses! I think I will stick with vi(1)
mainly because it is the only relevant V from man 1 (and is what I often use so
I am more familiar with it). I don't think I want to introduce him to emacs(1)
for a while. There is mg(1) as well if need be.
I do think that at(1) is more suiting than awk(1) for right now in his
learning.

I forgot to mention that I want to teach him the UNIX philosophy (obviously)
such as programs should do one thing and do it well; use text streams; connect
the output of one program to the input of the next (pipelines); most programs
are used as filters; and so on. He is already getting the hang of this, using
redirection, pipes, suspending and resuming processes, etc.

@elijah thanks for the man(1) and mail(1) suggestions. I would use man(1) if it
wasn't for help(1), and that he already knows it off by heart (yet again due to
OpenBSD).
I kept the list sans net for the sake of simplicity, except I _had_ to keep
netcat(1). We will have some fun with it. (Once he is up to speed with the
basics then it will be lots of net. It's not UNIX without the net.)

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Chris