I had a similar situation with my laptop and found a solution in the FAQ:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemLive

Essentially what I had to do was boot from CD on the desktop system (using
an ISO for the desktop system's architecture) and then do an install of
OpenBSD onto the flash drive. After that, you can boot into the system from
the flash drive and then download the bsd.rd file for the architecture of
the laptop you want to install on from pub/OpenBSD/<RELEASE>/<ARCH>/bsd.rd
and save it to the root directory of the flash drive install. Then boot
from the flash drive on the laptop, when the boot prompt comes up, enter
the name of the bsd.rd that you downloaded and boot into the installer.

--
-Christopher Sasarak