On 02/13/13 13:14, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
On 2013-02-12 10:17, Scott McEachern wrote:
Oh for pete's sake, it's 2013. Go to your local computer store and spend (at most) $20 dollars on an optical drive. Install the damn thing on your Winbox, follow the many directions already posted here, and be done with it. It's not rocket surgery and optical drives really do come in handy. And they're dirt cheap. Or, save the $20 and install VirtualBox like people have suggested. Just end this stupid thread because you're talking in circles.
$20 may sound cheap to you, but that's not cheap in every part of the
world, especially for a device you'll use only ONCE to install the OS.
It's 2013, and buying floppies/optical drives isn't the best of advices.

Right. And an optical drive on a Windows box will *never* be used again. And it could never be repurposed on another machine. What a complete waste of money. Silly me; bad advice.

Fine, $20 is the difference between him paying the rent or eating. I get it. But like I reminded him, there are free options already suggested by the list and he's done what with that advice?

What's wrong PXE?

Nothing. I had to use it earlier today myself on a machine with no CDROM that couldn't boot from USB. (Sound familiar?) But that's also assuming that his machine is capable of PXE, and the OP hasn't said anything about it. (My bad, maybe he did and it's one of the messages in this thread I skipped.)

My point still stands: He's been given advice six ways through Sunday on how to accomplish this task, both free and non-free, he's also been pointed to the archives and yet this thread lives on. Like I said, talking in circles now.

--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca