Hi,

I own an ISP and I see no problem using OpenBSD, or Cisco as routers and
I have no problem with the configuration of PF. I kind of find it much
simpler then Cisco. Definitely better man page for sure! (:>

Just know, you don't need every single features of PF to have a great
router. PF does offer you more then IOS, or JunOS. The only place where
it fall short is for the hardware for you can get on Cisco or Juniper
for high end traffic and all. But as is, it's fare ahead of where it was
a few years ago and you can run lots of stuff on that I tell you! Never
the less the traffic you can pass through OpenBSD keep increasing at
each release and for any small business, it provide way more then what's
needed.

Even Equinix have been using OpenBSD as router reflector for years now
and if you are an ISP, you know Equinix is way up there!

So, I don't think you are really understanding what you are asking I think.

On 2/15/13 11:05 PM, Fil DiNoto wrote:
> I was drawing from situations where we implemented hardware from a
> less well known vendor that has a completely different configuration
> style than what most people are used to. We end up having more outages
> caused by human error to the point where the equipment gets a bad
> reputation.

So, don;'t you have anyone that needed to learn the difference between
JunOS and IOS. There is plenty there too. Your tech just need to learn
it as they did. If you have errors with PF, then you will have the same
tech doing errors with IOS and JunOS because they are not paying any
attention to what they are doing! It's just a third OS to learn to use,
nothing more or less, but I tell you, neither IOS and JunOS have all the
information handy and exact as PF however! (:>

I don't see that as a valid argument really. Either you are a network
engineer and learn what you work with or you don't. Plus just a side
note there is more then just Cico and Juiniper for routers as well. You
want to have Brocade use IOS syntax too? Or Nortel Network, well they
are bankrupt, so I guess yea you will not learn that one! (:> But there
is more too. Lucent have their own OS too. So, in all, it's just one
more to learn, that's all.

> Unfortunately I have never been able to convince management to use
> OpenBSD for anything outside the lab except for a VPN server for
> internal/vendor use so I can't provide any real examples involving
> OpenBSD.

Management are focus on Money most of the time. So, if they send all the
money you want to get the gear you need, then you should be happy. When
they run out, may be they will give PF and OpenBSD a try. Just know that
most if not all management are not innovative in nature, they all want
outside support so they can blame someone else and wash their hands of
problem, but be jumping up and done to promote their choice when all is
good so they look good. There is way more politics then good old logics
and innovations there you know right?

> But I think with all the virtualization these days and the virtual
> network appliances for vmware and such devices like Raspberry Pi  the
> software router is going to become a more popular choice in a lot of
> situations. Like me personally I have an ESXi server I lease, I'm not
> going buy/lease a hardware router/firewall to sit in front of a single
> machine with a handful of VMs on it, I use an OpenBSD VM as a router
> to the other VMs and it works wonderfully. My provider had a hard time
> understanding why I wanted another /29 routed to one of my IP
> addresses the sales guy kept saying "it won't work that way you need a
> router and all you have is one server" but eventually they made it
> happen.

This I must say that's why I decided to answer your message as I can't
imagine of understand why you would like to run a router inside
VMWare!?!?!??!

And don't say that it is to make it more secure please.

You make everything more complex and you were talking about making
things simpler!?!?! A real paradox there don't you think?

Forget that VMWare will not run on OpenBSD as the host and you know you
will loose a lots of efficiency too?

There is a very long list why you shouldn't run a router in VMWare. Just
think about it a little and you will see why it make no sense really.

Looks like everyone wants to run everything in VMWare these days and
thinks it's good for everything...

May be you would gain by playing with PF more and setup routers for fun
with it.

Just give it a chance and then after a few weeks you will wonder why
Cisco and JunOS don't do their syntax like PF really. (:>

Just my $0.02 worth for using both and I see no need to have PF be like IOS.

I would be way more in favor to see a company out there somewhere do
custom hardware for PF and OpenBSD to compete with Cisco routers for
example.

Some network cards are pretty good as is, but yes it could be even
better and faster.

I think if such a company would see the light of day, sooner then you
think Cisco would come and buy them flat out to avoid that competition.
I would be welling to bet that they would do all they can to make sure
such a thing never see the light of day!

But wouldn't this be nice if it would!!!!

Best,

Daniel

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]