On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 07:36:58 +0100
Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> Stay away from nVidia
> mobile chipsets and from recent AMD integated graphics.
>
> Since AMD's commercial names vs chipset names correspondance is a
> not clear to me, I don't know exactly how to check if a given AMD
> chipset is supported or not. It's also difficult since the driver we
> have in xenocara has code for newer chips which is is not enabled on
> OpenBSD because it requires KMS. So don't trust the list in radeon(4)
> blindly. HD6xxx are for sure not supported.

The fullscreen requirement we have means we can avoid that conundrum
(I'm glad you've made me aware of some of the details though), however
the AMD Turion systems I have found with SXGA+ screens are fetching as
much as my sister paid for her brand new laptop, which is a bit hard to
swallow considering the desktop parts that money could buy, though they
do have some metal rather than all plastic and cost a lot more
originally. So I may make an offer or just go back to looking at
Thinkpads again.

I do prefer the AMD processor architecture but they seem thin on the
ground so if anyone happens to know of any good places to look, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
        Kc