On 2013-03-09 00:18, frantisek holop wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
> how to read/send email in my current life situation
> (=being on the road all the time connecting once
> in a while with 3rd world wifi).
>
> i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
> i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
> setup would be something that downloads my mails
> when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
> even when being offline, and these would be sent
> automatically (through my server) when i come
> online again.  my mail client is mutt.
>
> any road warriors living like this with a rock
> solid well tested setup?
>
> -f
> --
> stop talking while i'm interrupting.

I run something similar to what you need on my laptop.
I use offlineimap to sync all mails locally, mutt to read and
reply, and opensmtpd running locally.
My local smtpd relays through my actual email server (using SMTPS
and authentication) whenever I get an internet connection.
offlineimap also syncs back read/flaged statuses back up.

Good luck!

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera