On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:17:50PM +0100, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:12:08AM -0400, Jiri B wrote:
>
> > just for curiosity, is it planned for future?
> >
> > I can't just now think about real usability...
>
> Me neither. For most use cases I can think of, interface groups (a feature we
> do have, see ifconfig(8) and possibly other references elsewhere) will give
> you what others have implemented interface renaming for.

Situation: onboard network card is broken and was used in OS.
You just plug additional network card, and disable the old
one via `config' (is this right?). The "policy" in your
setup is the order of network cards make some logic:
* 1st backup/installation
* 2nd service
* 3rd admin access
Now you don't use old broken card but you can't make new
one being first for example. I don't say this is good
design but I saw it used a lot in my previous job.
Renaming new card to old one is impossible.

jirib