On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:31:29AM -0400, Jiri B wrote:
> Situation: onboard network card is broken and was used in OS.
> You just plug additional network card, and disable the old
> one via `config' (is this right?). The "policy" in your
> setup is the order of network cards make some logic:
> * 1st backup/installation
> * 2nd service
> * 3rd admin access
> Now you don't use old broken card but you can't make new
> one being first for example. I don't say this is good
> design but I saw it used a lot in my previous job.
> Renaming new card to old one is impossible.

If all those interfaces are of the same kind (using the same driver),
you may face a renumbering situation, true.

But there are several factors that would make the pain a lot smaller with
OpenBSD than a few other contenders in the general case.  For one thing
your network interfaces are named driverN (xl0, nfe0 and so on), in
contrast to Linux' ethN where renumbering does happen and is a common cause
of major confusion (or at least did back when I had a few moderately complex
Linux boxes). If you can swap out the card with another one of the same type
(probably not an option if it's an onboard version) in the same slot you
probably
will be OK, and if your new card is a different make, all you need to do is some
minor editing of config files and maybe a mv or two of hostname.* files.

- P
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/