On 3/19/13 2:23 AM, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:33:12PM -0600, Alvaro Mantilla Gimenez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I would like to know if anyone is using OpenBSD on MacBook pro (intel
>> based) and how well the system works on it. Is there any hardware issue?
>> Performance?
>>

> It depends which version you get. I have a MacBook Pro that has Intel
> graphics and it works fine (apart from an issue with the IDE/AHCI
> controller and the fact it only has a single mouse button). I still prefer
> my Thinkpad over it since there it just works and I don't need some magic
> bootcamp to get OpenBSD installed.

You don't need bootcamp. It's a convenient tool if you're trying to set
up multibooting and you already have stuff on disk you don't want to
lose, but as long as you can set up a GPT partition table and have a
working efi bootloader you can just install directly to disk like any
other machine.

I ran it on a MacBook Pro 5,3 a year or so ago. From what I recall, X
and suspend worked, audio from line out worked, audio from speakers
didn't but I probably just never took enough time to configure it right,
and I don't know about the webcam because I've never tried to use it.
Quite oddly they keyboard had some trouble so I had to use an external
USB keyboard to install, but eventually it "magically" worked, (I don't
remember what I did). Support has probably improved since, as it often
does as hardware ages.

It ran rather hot and battery life wasn't great but I suspect that's
because it has two graphics cards and wasn't powering them down when not
in use, but again, that's something that can probably just be
configured, but I didn't have the time to figure it out.

It's a shame I didn't keep the dmesg.

One time I walked into an apple store with a live CD hoping to test
hardware support on new machines, only to realize I hadn't thought about
the fact that most don't have CD drives anymore, and when I booted it on
a Mac Pro they kicked me out claiming I was trying to "upload malware"
even though I asked the manager first and he said it was okay. :(

Another time I brought a live USB stick hoping to be allowed to test it,
but the guy said that the "usb interfaces are highly locked down and
secured" but if I told him the "exact kernel version of the OS I was
trying to test" (he was probably used to linux guys) he would test it
for me and email me the results. I never heard back from him.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]