Here is his dmesg for that MacBook.

This was on 4.7 and it only got much better by now.

He did run it on newer version as well, much better.

So it does work.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=126946934114741&w=2

No clue as of 5.3 obviously, but I can only assume that it is much
better as it was already running pretty well in 4.7, BUT HOT!

It was installed with reffit at the time. That also changed too after he
was force to run Windows for some classes and then he had OS X, Windows,
and OpenBSD, and possibly FreeBDS at the time as well I can't remember,
but 3 OS at once and all good.

Now he only want to run one and that's not Windows, nor OS X starting
this summer for the classes.

Have fun!

Daniel

On 3/19/13 12:36 PM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> On 3/19/13 2:23 AM, Claudio Jeker wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:33:12PM -0600, Alvaro Mantilla Gimenez wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>    I would like to know if anyone is using OpenBSD on MacBook pro (intel
>>> based) and how well the system works on it. Is there any hardware issue?
>>> Performance?
>>>

>> It depends which version you get. I have a MacBook Pro that has Intel
>> graphics and it works fine (apart from an issue with the IDE/AHCI
>> controller and the fact it only has a single mouse button). I still prefer
>> my Thinkpad over it since there it just works and I don't need some magic
>> bootcamp to get OpenBSD installed.
>>

> You don't need bootcamp. It's a convenient tool if you're trying to set
> up multibooting and you already have stuff on disk you don't want to
> lose, but as long as you can set up a GPT partition table and have a
> working efi bootloader you can just install directly to disk like any
> other machine.
>
> I ran it on a MacBook Pro 5,3 a year or so ago. From what I recall, X
> and suspend worked, audio from line out worked, audio from speakers
> didn't but I probably just never took enough time to configure it right,
> and I don't know about the webcam because I've never tried to use it.
> Quite oddly they keyboard had some trouble so I had to use an external
> USB keyboard to install, but eventually it "magically" worked, (I don't
> remember what I did). Support has probably improved since, as it often
> does as hardware ages.
>
> It ran rather hot and battery life wasn't great but I suspect that's
> because it has two graphics cards and wasn't powering them down when not
> in use, but again, that's something that can probably just be
> configured, but I didn't have the time to figure it out.
>
> It's a shame I didn't keep the dmesg.
>
> One time I walked into an apple store with a live CD hoping to test
> hardware support on new machines, only to realize I hadn't thought about
> the fact that most don't have CD drives anymore, and when I booted it on
> a Mac Pro they kicked me out claiming I was trying to "upload malware"
> even though I asked the manager first and he said it was okay. :(
>
> Another time I brought a live USB stick hoping to be allowed to test it,
> but the guy said that the "usb interfaces are highly locked down and
> secured" but if I told him the "exact kernel version of the OS I was
> trying to test" (he was probably used to linux guys) he would test it
> for me and email me the results. I never heard back from him.
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which
had a name of signature.asc]