Andreas Bartelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was wondering why such a simple checksum algorithm is implemented in
> TCP. I suppose, it's because of the slow CPU performance many years ago.
> This algorithm looks so unreliable to me that it even can't protect
> against some pretty simple errors, which (I suppose) also could occur

The idea is to protect against lost, duplicated, or reordered
packets.  If the underlying medium suffers from bit errors, the
link layer should handle those.  For example, Ethernet frames include
a 32-bit CRC, which makes it possible to recognize and discard
corrupted packets.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]