Gesendet: Dienstag, 14. Mai 2013 um 08:31 Uhr
Von: "Tomas Bodzar" <tomas.bod...@gmail.com>

>> on his/her laptop as *only* OS and uses it daily for scientific work?
>> please contact me off list. Thanks
>>

>I'm not sure if there will be some official readings available (you can try
>BSDmag and similar resources), but it's completely possible and fine as
>long as there's SW you need in packages/ports or compilation works on your
>own. And you know, here are in use tradional Unix/Unix-like things so
>everything is possible.
>
>Yes, having it as desktop instead of Windows and/or Linux is working
>perfectly.

Full ACK.

My impression is that most people who pretend that OpenBSD is not suited as a
desktop system are either ingnorant or just outright lazy:
- Ignorant on the fine work the developers and countless porters did and/or
- lazy to read the documentation (or if of non-english mothertongue: too lazy
to ask for help)

There is NO general-purpose desktop-related task that cannot be done with
OpenBSD! Full stop.
('Bling-Bling' is NO general purpose requirement!)

Unless s.o. has to use some proprietary software that is tighly linked to
internals of an other OS there is no technical reason to use any other OS as a
basis for a desktop system - only personal likes ("I can't live without my
'bling-bling'-ads") and dislikes ("I don't want to do my homework").

I happily use OpenBSD on my laptop and on an iMac for all day-to-day work as I
have to ashure my clients that their data is save on my systems. No other OS
gives me that level of confidence.

STEFAN