Hi Bruno,

Thank you so much for your email! That's exactly what I want to arrive at one day. Perhaps one day I will indeed contact you for some specific advice on configuration.

For now I only got a centralized mail archive with an IMAP server. I briefly searched the Internet on the IMAP server comparison. Dovecot seemed like a good choice and I went ahead and installed it. I configured Dovecot for both client and server certificate authentication.

All went well, but there were a couple of glitches:

* The Dovecot configuration was pretty easy except that the ssl_ca option should point to a file that is a CONCATENTATION of the CA certificate file and a valid CRL file. I didn't concatenate the CRL file, and so the client certificate was rejected. Once I concatenated the file, it turned out that the CRL was outdated, and so again the client certificate was rejected. Now it's working. The verbose_ssl option was very useful in diagnosing these problems.

* Thunderbird (Icedove, actually) doesn't remember my choice of the client certificate over restarting. But when I chose "Select one automatically", Thunderbird stopped bugging me, since I have just one client certificate installed.

For now, all my mail clients receive mail with POP3 and send with SMTP. Later most probably I will use Fetchmail and Exim to consolidate my mail accounts on my server.

Best,
Irek