> Has anyone done a successful upgrade from Loongson 5.2 to 5.3? I've done
> upgrades on numerous platforms and this is the only one I've ever had
> problems with. The upgrade seemed to go fine and finish normally. After the
> reboot it goes from the Lemote Dragon screen to a black screen and stops
> there.

I have performed many upgrades without a hitch. However, the PMON ext2fs
access code is fragile, and may not load the bootblocks correctly if the
boot block image gets put in a too-trick-for-retarded-code location. Of
course, when this happens, PMON will happily tell you it has loaded the
binary, but actually loaded garbage from different sectors than those
the binary is installed in. Did I mention how high quality that PMON
code is?

My best advice would be to backup your system and reinstall. If this is
not an option, you *might* (as in, ought to) be lucky if you
``newfs_ext2fs wd0i'' and copy /usr/mdec/boot to the root of the ext2fs
filesystem (boot bsd.rd from the network; newfs_ext2fs is on the
installation media filesystem, but /usr/mdec/boot isn't, you'll need to
copy it from either the network or your BSD filesystem, which you can
mount from bsd.rd)

Miod