on that machine I have imported mariadb inĀ  /usr/ports/databases/mariadb, via
cvs, which compiled ok.

The problem was with p5-DBD-mysql needed by
mariadb-server-5.5.31p0, which refuses to install without it, and for that
reason I had to generate a p5-DBD-mysql for mariadb, using the Makefile rev.
1.36 for that package.

I took the following steps:
1. checkout mariadb from
cvs repository into
 /usr/ports/databases/mariadb
2. compiled and generated
the packagesĀ  mariadb-server-5.5.31p0 and mariadb-client-5.5.31p0;
3. removed
mysql* packages (client and server) because of conflicts
4. when tried to
install newlly generated  mariadb-server-5.5.31p0 it required
 p5-DBD-mysql,
but p5-DBD-mysql depends on mysql-* stuff;
5. I removed p5-DBD-mysql;
6. I
update the Makefile with rev. 1.36 in
/usr/ports/databases/p5-DBD-mysql/Makefile to make it mariadb compatible
7. I
did sudo make install for p5-DBD-mysql
8. sudo pkg_add mariadb-server-5.5.31p0
9. sudo pkg_add mariadb-client-5.5.31p0

both client and server are working,
but programmaticaly I encountered that error which seems to be solved, as
Stefan Sperling suggested, via LD_PRELOAD env, var.

what I am doing wrong?