Thanks for your response!

On 7/3/2013 1:07 AM, Remco wrote:
AFAIK this is step one. Assuming you added the PCI IDs correctly, the driver's
attach function should run. However, to the best of my understanding, you
chose a more or less random attach function for your unsupported device.
My guess is that the attach function didn't run, or hasn't got the proper
support for your device and therefore fails, leaving you with a "not
configured" device.

(Frankly, step one should be to first compare drivers and see if OpenBSD has
the code necessary to support your device and add the missing pieces, instead
of semi-randomly trying to run some OpenBSD code on your unsupported device.
Also beware of differences in how the code is licensed in case you want to
literally copy stuff.)

Ralink packages the 2860 and 3060 source code in their open source driver. OpenBSD's ral(4) uses the 2860 as the default or 'catch all.' This indicates that the 2860 might be suitable for the 3060. The odd thing is that the 2860 *and* 3090 vendor packages include '30xx.c'

I would think if the attach failed it would be in /var/log/messages. How would I debug this? If the attach is failing, I might try crafting it to use a different driver. (guess I should try printf)

Finally, I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to copyright and licensing laws. Vendor code is GNU GPL and might be a problem with the register tables and such.