On 7/4/2013 10:27 AM, Remco wrote:
On Wednesday 03 July 2013 19:11:19 Nathan Goings wrote:

I would think if the attach failed it would be in /var/log/messages.
How would I debug this?  If the attach is failing, I might try crafting
it to use a different driver. (guess I should try printf)

I usually use printfs in places where I'd like to get more info.

It's been a while since I looked into kernel programming so I'm digging most
of this this up from my memory:
/sys/kern/subr_autoconf.c - here the matching/attaching magic happens.
It has an AUTOCONF_VERBOSE define that can be used to get more verbose output,
though I don't remember how useful it is.
Looking at config(8), I think you should be able to set it in your copy of the
GENERIC file as:
option AUTOCONF_VERBOSE=1

Thanks! I was just about to ask how to get more verbose output. What is printfs? I can't find any information on it. My printf statements haven't been showing up, but I'm going to try AUTOCONF_VERBOSE before asking about that.

I've been looking into kernel debugging. The only examples I could find are emulated systems. I've also haven't used gdb style debugging in a long time, I greatly prefer log output.

Finally, Is there a way to re-test the driver match/attach without rebooting?