On 2013-07-02 18:53, Nick Holland wrote:
> On 07/02/13 17:07, Jean-Francois Simon wrote:
> >> That's really a question you will need to find out though
> >> experimentation before you implement (i.e., you MUST practice this
> >> recovery stuff before going into production), but yes, RAID5
> >> rebuild is still not there, so I would NOT recommend going this
> >> route.
> >>
> >> However, a nice little RAID1 system to start, hopefully leaving you
> >> two SATA ports for the next generation/upgrade disks.
> >>
> >> Nick.
> >
> > "RAID5 rebuild is still not there" Can you please make it more clear
> > what actual state of soft raid can and what it cannot do under RAID 5
> > ... I'm not so sure to get it, thank you.
> >
> > J.-F.
> >

> "RAID5 rebuild is still not there" -> there's no RAID5 rebuild.  I'm not
> sure how to make it more clear...
>
> Ok, let's try this...
> Today, you take four 1TB disks, and make a 3TB RAID5 volume.  You can do
> that.  Works great.
>
> Now, a lot of people might call this "Job Done".  Not me.  The point of
> RAID isn't to build complicated systems, but to have the system keep
> your butt out of the fire when things go wrong.
>
> Next month, one of those drive fail.  That's ok, RAID5 is designed to
> keep your data usable with one drive down.  THAT is the point of RAID.
>
> You pat yourself on the back and say, "I'm glad I am using RAID5".
> You replace the failed drive and...
> um... now what?
> You have a three drive degraded RAID5 system with no remaining
> redundancy...and a new drive that is currently unused.  You have no
> ability to rebuild the function of the failed drive into the new
> drive...because the RAID5 rebuild is not there.
>
> Oh, poo.
>
> Your options?  Well,
> * you can build a NEW array on other disks (hope you have enough ports
> to plug them into), copy the data from the old one to the new one
> * you can hope your backup system is perfect, and rebuild the entire
> array and reload from backup
> * you can hope a second drive doesn't fail in your array... for the life
> of the system.
>
> Not much else I can think of.
>
> If you want to play with softraid and raid5, hey, have a blast.  You
> want to put critical data on it?  I'd not suggest that.  A job ago, I
> had some relatively large chunks of data to hash through to find some
> needles of data in and no disks handy that could do it in one
> chunk...but I had some big disk array boxes, and a lot of smallish SCSI
> disks I could stick in them (and the office space was really cold, so a
> bit of heat under my desk was not unappreciated).  I think I did them as
> softraid RAID0, but I could have done it as RAID5 with this system --
> the data is there just for analysis, not storage.  RAID5 might give me a
> few minutes to pull data off that I realized was important only after
> the drive failed, but otherwise the loss of data on this array would not
> [...]

Indeed! I wanted to make sure I'd know how to rebuild the RAID after it
failed, and that was my initial doubt.

You can be pretty much assured that I didn't use RAID5 in the end (I
don't have anywhere to copy all my stuff while I rebuild the array).

I'm wondering though; is it *so* hard to implement the rebuildage,
or is there simply no interest on behalf of the devs?

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera