Hi Paul,

Paul Irofti wrote:
A/C adapter state: not connected
Does this change if the A/C is plugged in? Was it really unplugged when
you ran apm? That might explain the low frequency CPU setting.
Yes. The laptop was unplugged. APM information about AC adapter status is correct.

If I boot the laptop when it is connected to AC power, it will boot at full CPU frequency and stay high. However if booted while on battery it remains low.
Performance adjustment mode: manual (599 MHz)

Interesting is that the CPU is not running at full speed, which is 1600Mhz.
What's your setperf set to? (sysctl hw.setperf)
Right now, on battery but booted while on AC power, I do get:

$ sysctl hw.setperf
hw.setperf=99

I suppose this is part of the problem:
$ dmesg | grep acpi
acpi at bios0 function 0x0 not configured
This is an APM machine. Not an ACPI one.
Centrino machines are to my knowledge already ACPI machines.
I did not try, but Linux supports ACPI exactly on this machine.
A bunch of HP fixes went in. If you feel like experimenting more you can
update to current and disable apm at boot and enable acpi. See what
happens.

I will try a current snapshot kernel.

Riccardo