On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 07:50:41AM -0400, John Hynes wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I have a softraid device, sd3, which was created as follows:
>
> bioctl -c 1 -l /dev/sd0a,/dev/sd1a,/dev/sd2a softraid0
>
> The chunk sd2a failed.  bioctl shows the RAID1 as degraded, and chunk sd2a
> as OFFLINE.
>
> In order to rebuild, I'd need to set up the new sd2.  After replacing and
> zeroing the drive, I replaced the MBR with fdisk -yi /dev/sd2, which worked
> fine.  Next, I copied the disklabel from sd0 to sd2, but disklabel refused
> to write the new label, saying:

I'm not sure what you were doing here.
What commands did you run to "copy" the disklabel?

> disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink
> disklabel: unable to write label
>
> I could use another slot I suppose, but is there a way to label the chunk
> in the same slot and rebuild onto it that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -John

I would create a fresh disklabel on sd2, using disklable -E sd2,
with a partition of type RAID that matches the size of the existing
chunks in the volume. It can be any partition on sd2. You seem to
be using 'a' which should be fine (though usually 'a' is used for
root partitions of type 4.2BSD).

Then start the rebuild (assuming /dev/sd2a is the new partition
and sd3 is the softraid disk):

        # bioctl -R /dev/sd2a sd3