On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Martin Schröder <mar...@oneiros.de> wrote:
> 2013/9/15 Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com>:
>> I wanted to add myself to the sudo group.
>
> man sudo
It appears to lack information on adding a user (I went through this
man page before asking the question).

Then, I went to the web and landed on an overflow page (I think its
the 'meta' site, and not the 'stack' site). That's what took me to
'adduser'.

> man visudo
I don't know vi. I do known emacs, but its not on this system so I
can't edit /etc/sudo by hand.

I tried to add emacs through pkg_add, but it appears broke. Surely
emacs has been ported to every *nix system in existence, so its
baffling (to me) the package manager cannot find it.

> man adduser
I tried `adduser jwalton sudo`, and it did not work even though the
command looks well formed. I got the command from the overflow site.

> man group
Does not appear applicable. I want to add a user to a group, and not
create or delete groups.

And 'usermod -G sudo jwalton' does not work, either. It errors with
"Can't append group sudo for user jwalton".

This stuff really should not be this hard...

Jeff