* Luca Ferrari <fluca1...@infinito.it> [2013-09-16 14:05:12 +0200]:

> My favourite desktop is KDE, but I have to admit it has some concepts
> that can scary a new user, like the management of desktop icons and
> folders. Therefore KDE 3 is better than 4 for this kind of users, but
> I would not suggest to use such an old version. I'm not a gnome fan,
> even if I've seen a lot of friends of mine succesfully using it.
> Therefore I would suggest gnome or xfce if the user is not a computer
> sxpert, or KDE 4 for a "normal" user.
>
> Luca

Personally, I'm an long time fvwm user. My partner wouldn't know where to start
nor care to learn how to use that. Which is why I need to install a DE. Years
ago I did use KDE3 and liked it but changed because I did not like KDE4.

Does KDE3 work  well on OpenBSD? Things like k3b and similar apps that come
with it or, is XFCE more likely to have better support for graphical apps to
play CD/DVD's, burning media, music, stuff like that. That is what my partner
will want to use. I can do the configuration, where necessary, but don't want
to be constantly hassled into showing how to use stuff. So it needs to be idiot
proof lol ;-)

Gnome 3 is not something I'll give too much consideration too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

cheers, Jamie.