Hi,

Hi all:

I use during so long time KDE3. Nowdays I prefer xfce4. Gnome3 is a bit
ugly for me. I prefer WMs that integrate the file browser and other tools.
Because of this I don't use WindowMaker or FVWM or Enlightenment.... If I'd
only had to code I'll use vim and some minimalistic wm.

In my experience, KDE3, Gnome3 and XFCE4 are good choices for general use.

Not related with the desktop choice but with the performance... In OpenBSD,
all versions, I note performance decrease (not smooth mouse movement or web
page scrolling) when the machine is doing any heavy reading/writing task or
cpu compsuming (for example a rsync or zip/unzip a big file). Has anyone
else experienced a similar behaviour?

I use Windowmaker + GNUstep and I do experience this. More than in Windowmaker, in GNUstep itself, e.g. opening of the menus, or selecting a directory in GWorkspace. I have a slower machine so it is quite noticeable. I too experience too much a slow-down. Download something through FTP, update cvs.. and the itnerface becomes sluggish.
But it might be the limited PC architecture.

Riccardo