Hi all,
I've been using dump for backup a bunch of systems and I've
noticed that there are some areas it can't access:
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/audit: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/authpf: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/backups: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/crash: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/cron/atjobs: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/cron/tabs: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/db/ldap: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/db/yubikey: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/games/hackdir/save: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/named/etc: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/run/mysql: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/spool/clientmqueue: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/spool/ftp/bin: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/spool/ftp/etc: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/spool/ftp/hidden: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/spool/mqueue: Permission denied
  DUMP: Can't fts_read /var/spool/smtpd: Permission denied

I'm dump'ing remotely with:
 /sbin/dump -0auf
The user being used to run is a member of the group 'operator'.

What can be the problem ?

So far I've thought of these:
 - because I'm doing this on live system?
 - in dump(8), in the BUGS section there is this notice:
     When dumping a list of files or subdirectories, access privileges are
     required to scan the directory (as this is done via the fts(3) routines
     rather than directly accessing the filesystem).

cheers,
--rodolfo