On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 03:13:35PM -0400, josh wrote:
> I have a USB 802.11n capable dongle that works fine in a netbook[3] but not
> in a server[2], which is where it was intended.  The sypmtom is a cessation
> of packet traffic followed by device timeout as described in urtwn(4).
> A similar problem was mentioned last year[1] on misc@, though the specific
> Realtek chipset involved was not posted.
>
> I built a kernel with USB_DEBUG which enables URTWN_DEBUG, and while running
> with that test kernel I could not replicate the problem.  From that test, I
> understand that timing or a race condition are likely areas of research. It
> aligns also with the slower system [3] not being able to replicate either.
>
> I could use some help as I am unsure how to investigate further.  I tried
> doubling the sc_tx_timer in if_urtwn.c from 5 to 10, with no effect, but
> that was just a stab in the dark.  Any suggestions for futher tests, or
> a whack with a cluestick would be welcome.

I have a urtwn that runs quite hot when it exhibits similar problems.
Pulling it out and letting it cool down for a while usually fixes it.
Putting it back in immediately usually results in the same symptoms
right away.

A shot in the dark idea is that our driver might not be handling power
management in a way that the vendor envisioned, so the device runs
too hot and stops working properly.