On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:44:46 -0500
David Noel <david.i.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But now
> that I'm administering 6 of them I'm really starting to get annoyed by
> the whole process: rebuild kernel... rebuild world... reboot, and then
> pray that it doesn't blow up in my face (as it often does).
Perhaps you could try freebsd-update:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

> Does this mean that I could theoretically have
> gotten away with a year and a half uptime?
You can theoretically get away with a decade of uptime if you do not do
upgrades which require reboot for so long.

> What's the catch here? I'm
> sorry but I'm incredulous by how good it sounds so I have to ask.
OpenBSD is released every 6 months, in between there are patches:
http://www.openbsd.org/errata53.html

It is up to you to decide if you are going to patch once a week or once
a year, and if you are going to compile from source or do binary
upgrades. Either way, I don't think there is a system which is "secure"
after a year without updating.

> does it sound like OpenBSD could be the one for me?
It definitely could, but not for the reasons you stated :)

--
Marko Cupać