On Fri, November 15, 2013 13:50, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
> Kirill Bychkov said:
>> I can't agree with that. You can test something not in FAQ if you are sure
>> it
>> will make no harm to your system. Dance with bootloaders and partition
>> managers could lead to catastrophe if you make an error.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Keep in mind that potential risk boiled down to wasted space on the hard
>>> drive, which could be easily reclaimed for OS the OP would prefer if
>>> dualboot was impossible.
>
> Well, I don't really understand the meaning you put behind the word
> "catastrophe", given that the action in subject is the installation of
> two operating systems. You can't reinstall OS without loosing data, so I
> assume that all data from hard disks is backed up, and the only resource
> to waste is the time. Even then, again, given due precausion you don't
> really risk any data loss for any of the OSs.

Any blind operations with MBR, bootloaders and partion editor may be
destructive without sufficient knowledge.

>> We all know, than M$ always inventing new traps for alternative OS.
>
> Care to elaborate? I'm not aware of any traps regarding disk management.
>
>> And their boot process organization is one of that traps.
>
> Again, care to elaborate? Where's the actual trap?

You can't simply follow instructions for multibooting with XP when you are
dealing with Win7. Same could happen with Win8.1. But it seems it doesn't.
This time, I assume. We just get UEFI as a headache. Is it not a trap?