Quoting Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> --On 25 November 2005 18:06 -0500, Alex Kirk wrote:
>
> > I just picked up three Maxtor 200GB UltraATA/133 drives that I'd like
> > to use in a RAID-5 configuration with my OpenBSD web/mail server.
> ..
> > http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html#hardware, and unless I'm missing
> > something, there's something of a gap between ATA/100 and SATA/150
> > there (for example, the MegaRAID 150-4/6 and the MegaRAID i4).
> ..
> > I apologize if this question has already been answered, but what
> > would be my best bet for building a RAID-5 with these disks under
> > OpenBSD?
>
> i4 (or dell cerc-pata, which is the same thing and possibly easier to
> find on ebay if that's where you're buying). Have a look at the
> sustained transfer rate of the drives, I'll be very surprised if it's
> enough to max out 100MB/sec, and with 3 disks on an i4 you won't need
> to share channels.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I had been concerned that the i4 wouldn't even
talk to the drives, given that they're rated faster than its top speed, but if
it's just an issue of *possibly* sacrificing a bit of speed (which, given your
explanation, seems unlikely anyway), then my problem is solved. Thanks! :-)

BTW, if anyone is interested in hearing how this information performs (either
from a developer's or a user's perspective), shoot me an e-mail in a couple of
weeks, when I've had a chance to get everything installed properly.

Alex Kirk