Cool, thanks much for the info.

> Although I'm not using any of the low power chips since I've
> found that heat is really not an issue and the non T chips scale down

With the 200W power supply in the small form factor chassis, supermicro says
the max processor TDP supported by the motherboard is 45w. I guess if you
put one in that potentially uses greater power but never push it to do so it
would still work, but I assume bad things would happen if it ever
accidentally cranked and tried to suck more power than was available 8-/.

> G860, Core i3 2120, Core i3 3240, Xeon E3 1220, Xeon E3 1260L, and Xeon

The specifications for the motherboard on the supermicro site say processors
with integrated graphics are "not recommended", and since so far I've been
unable to push them into clarifying why I was a little leery. The footnote
indicates it's coming from Intel regarding the C202 chipset. I've seen a
handful of reports of people using processors with integrated graphics with
this chipset, and then with your confirmation I feel better about ordering
it. Obviously the chipset doesn't support integrated graphics, so the
silicon in the CPU is going to waste, but I'm guessing the supermicro
documentation team read "doesn't support integrated graphics" in the chipset
documentation and translated that into "you shouldn't use one" as opposed to
"if you do use one, you can't use the integrated graphics".

> If you don't need IPMI, you could save a few dollars and go with the non
> F versions of the boards. I have found that the IPMI "Text Console"
> never works right for anything I've tried including OpenBSD.

I've used the serial redirection on illumos and linux boxes without any
trouble. I rarely use the video redirection other than for potentially
initial bootstrapping and rare diagnostic issues. It's nice not ever having
to visit the box in person once it's racked :).

Thanks again for the feedback, it was very helpful.