On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:16:05PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:

> The ipmi driver is disabled by default because it does bad things on
> some systems. If you don't go out of your way to enable it, the not
> configured line is all you'll see.

That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it ;). For mailing
list archive purposes, you need to run 'config -e' on your kernel binary
and 'enable ipmi', then reboot.

So far I haven't found anything bad it does on my system. When it's
enabled, there is a watchdog setting in sysctl on my box, but the last
time I tried to use it it always rebooted after the interval, it didn't
seem to be reseting the timeout correctly. My box hasn't ever frozen since
it's been deployed, so that lack hasn't been a problem. The only
difference I've noticed between ipmi/no ipmi is a few more sensors
displayed.