I've got a supermicro X9SCL-F board with ipmi support, and I'm trying to
use it for the serial console. It shows up as a third com port. After
booting the latest install cd, I run the usual "stty com2 115200" and
"set tty com2", and then boot. The kernel messages show up fine, and
then the output just stops:

com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8/8 irq 5: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com2: console
[...]
root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
erase ^?, werase

Every time, it wedges up at this spot. The console still works for
kernel messages though, if I unplug the ipmi virtual cd, I see that:

erase ^?, werasesd2 detached
scsibus1 detached
umass0 detached

I tried installing it via the kvm head and configuring the serial
console for the installed OS, same problem, it spews all the kernel
messages and then:

com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8/8 irq 5: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com2: console
[...]
root on sd2a (b158108c15640a28.a) swap on sd2b dump on sd2b
Automatic boot i

Wedges up. Again, the kernel still works, if I plug in the virtual cd:

utomatic boot iumass0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Ours
Technology product 0x2222" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 4
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus3 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0

I see the messages. Interesting, the box ends up starting the network
and lets me log in via ssh, and when I do, there are *no* getty
processes at all. And if I try to reboot from the ssh login, ssh stops
responding, but it never reboots and I have to hard reset it.

It looks like as soon as userspace touches the console, it freezes up.
Nothing from userspace ever gets printed, and I can't type anything on
it. But kernel messages still show up.

The BIOS has the option to either enable or disable legacy redirection
after POST, I've tried it both ways with no difference. I can boot linux
and use the ipmi serial console just fine, seeing both the kernel output
and userspace output, getting a login prompt, and interacting with no
issues, so the underlying SOL is functional.

Any ideas what's going on or what I could try to fix or debug it?

Thanks much...