On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Paul de Weerd <we...@weirdnet.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:15:19AM -0430, Andres Perera wrote:
> | you use cat, muffin face:
> | STTY=`stty -g`
> | echo -n "Password: "
> | stty -echo
> | cat > PASSWORD_FILE_DONT_READ_IF_YOU_ARE_OTHER_PROCESS_PLS
> | stty "$STTY"
> | openssl -d ... < PASSWORD_FILE_DONT_READ_IF_YOU_ARE_OTHER_PROCESS_PLS
>
> Right, so you have to send Ctrl-D too...  Quite unexpected behaviour
> maybe.

1. if A is a partial set of answers that don't make for interesting
exchanges but pleases the whims, A = { head -n1, awk '{print;exit}',
perl -ne 'print;exit' }

2. unexpected to naddy or who are we talking about. not sure what the
focus is. are we tailoring the script to a particular person or is
this about creating a good tool with sh?

> | why did i use printf or heredoc? what happens if a password contains
> | the subtring "\r" when you echo it? does "naddy" feel comfortable with
> | the brittle dependency of echo being a builtin, and does everybody
> | else?
>
> Maybe Naddy wrote his script with his use case in mind.  Could be he
> doesn't have "\r" in his password (also, printf doesn't help in that
> case, but the heredoc does)

o ok as long as it's good for naddy. feels like im sucking up to a
stranger over the wire instead of discussing the fucking script, huh