On Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 05:26 PM, Donald Allen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Tekk <t...@parlementum.net> wrote:
> > I've got an ext3 /home partition which I use under linux, how likely is
> > it that files will get clobbered if I use the same /home under a dual
> > boot with openbsd?
> >

> Your subject asks about the stability of the ext2 support in OpenBSD,
> but your message says you have an ext3 partition you want to access.
> ext2 and ext3 are not the same thing -- ext3 is a journaled variant of
> ext2 that OpenBSD does not support. See
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq9.html
>
> Don't do it.

My understanding is read/write access is considerably more risky than
read-only access. If you just need to read that /home under OpenBSD it's
much less complicated and less risky as you can just mount /home
read-only and be done with it (even if it's still ext3).

At minimum, if you insist on read-write, you should get rid of the
journal thus converting ext3 back to ext2. It's a Really Bad Idea to
mount ext3 as ext2 read-write unless you are extra careful to shut down
cleanly every time and even then it's dubious.

It *might* be less risky if you format that /home as FFS and access it
using the Linux kernel's UFS/FFS module. Or, you could simply keep
separate /home for GNU/Linux and OpenBSD, which to me is perhaps the
cleanest solution. (I tend to compile a lot of stuff and install it to
$HOME/bin when I don't want it cluttering up /usr/local/bin which is
something I will admit a lot of users probably don't do.)

--
  Shawn K. Quinn
  skqu...@rushpost.com