previously on this list Maurice McCarthy contributed:

> I'm running Ubuntu Raring  while I learn about OpenBSD (slowly as I'm too old
> to do anything quick) and I've lately found ntfs much quicker.
>
> As an experiment last night I tarred and gzipped 216G of video files across
> two USB3 hard disks. (I have  an ASMedia card in the Rock motherboard) The
> first was ext4 and the second was ntfs.
>
> It completed in 5:01 hours. I've got some spare space on one of the twin hard
> drives so I'll experiment on that as time permits.

I wonder if it was small files that took ages (windows is also very very
slow there) as I seem to remember doing that and stopping it once as it
was redicuous. I recovered 300G my father accidentally deleted on a
removable NTFS on a debian stable system which will be at older
versions than Ubuntu. Copying it back was as fast as I would expect the
drive to go (50meg/s I think as it was a 2.5").

p.s. If you delete your unimportant data by accident on ext3 or ext4 it
will take more knowledge and a lot more time to recover. (scan the
whole surface and sort out the rubbish with less reliable tools rather
than scan and copy with testdisk).

So basically I wouldn't use ext3 or ext4 for data that isn't important
enough to backup but would not be easy to replace like the OS system
data is.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)